To best serve all library users and staff, certain standards and rules of library behavior have been established. Behavior becomes unacceptable when it interferes with the appropriate use of the library by others or when it could result in a safety hazard, injury, or damage to library property.
For The Safety and Comfort of All:
- Comply with staff requests.
- Be responsible for the conduct of children in your care.
- Do not leave children under the age of 8 unsupervised.
- Dress appropriately.
- Use cell phones in designated areas only; set ringers to silent or vibrate and speak in a manner that is not disruptive to others.
- Do not leave personal items unattended. The library is not responsible for items that are lost, stolen or damaged in or on the grounds of the library.
- Be considerate of fellow library users; do not harass, intimidate or disturb them.
- Maintain orderly and safe entry/exit by not loitering in high traffic areas, doorways, aisles and stairways, and keep personal items from interfering with others' access to the library.
- Eat and drink in designated areas only. Beverages in securely covered containers are permitted.
- Respect one another; concerns about fellow library patrons should be addressed to library staff.
Prohibited At The Sacramento Public Library:
- Engaging in any activity prohibited by law.
- Physical assault.
- Using tobacco products, or using or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Defacing, damaging or destroying library property or materials.
- Inappropriate use of restroom facilities.
- Offensive, pervasive odor that interferes with others’ use and quiet enjoyment of the library.
- Animals other than service animals.
- Soliciting, panhandling.
- Tampering with or using computers in a manner that violates library usage policy.
- Loud disruptive noise, or using offensive language, gestures or behavior.
- Moving furniture.
- Using rollerblades, skateboards, scooters or similar devices.
- Bringing into the library, bags, backpacks, boxes, carts, wheeled conveyances, or other large items, which singly or collectively exceed 32" by 18" by 15” (excluding handles), with the exception of wheelchairs and baby strollers/carriages being used for the actual transport of a person or child.
These rules of conduct are for the comfort, safety and protection of all library patrons and library staff. Persons not abiding by these or other library rules may be asked to leave the premises and/or have their library privileges suspended. Library staff and library security guards will firmly and courteously enforce these rules. We ask your cooperation in maintaining an environment conducive to enjoyable use of the Library by all. Thank you!
Board Approved – July 22, 2010
Revised – February 2, 2016
Ban and Bar Appeal Form