Teacher Library Card
A teacher library card permits teachers to:
- Borrow more books and audiobooks — up to 50 items
- Borrow items for a longer time — up to 42 days
- Request more items — up to 40 holds at a time
Teacher cards also do not accrue overdue fines for books and audiobooks.
Teachers of childcare, preschool, K-12, or homeschool students in Sacramento County are eligible for a teacher library card with proof of educator status. Cards are only for material for classroom and curriculum support and expire after one year. Learn more
about the card.
Fill out the online application
and pick up your teacher card at your local library. Bring your photo ID, proof of current address (if the address on your photo ID isn’t current), and proof of educator status.
BOOK A CLASS VISIT
We’d love to come visit your classroom, or welcome your students for a visit to Sacramento Public Library. Please fill out the form below and your librarian will be in touch with you to set up the details of your visit.
We add new informational texts to the library collection every month, and many new nonfiction books are incorporating primary sources.
The library also provides access to primary sources through our databases for students, including:
For help with any of the library’s databases, ask your local librarian.
Different schools and districts may work with various leveling systems, like Guided Reading, Lexile Level, or Accelerated Reader. It is possible to identify the level of a library book by looking it up on that system's website, or through the Scholastic Bookwizard tool.
Boxes and Kits for Checkout
Subject in a Box
- Dive deeper into a subject by borrowing a collection of books, DVDs, and CD-ROMS.
- Appropriate for school age children.
- Search "subject in a box in the library catalog
Book Club in a Box
Book Club in a Box is everything you need to get your book club up and running: 15 copies of the same book (same edition, same page numbers), along with discussion questions and tips for leading a successful club. One adult checks out the box and is responsible for all copies, which must be returned at the same time to any Sacramento Public Library location.
Search “Book Club in a Box” in the library catalog, limit by “Children’s Items” or “Teen Items” to see books appropriate for kids and teens.
Check Out Science
Crocker Art Pack
- Conduct science experiments. Kits include books and instructions, you provide the supplies.
- Appropriate for grades 2-5 with supervision
- Search “Check Out Science” in the library catalog.
- Explore colors, shapes and patterns with this collection of books, music, and play items.
- Appropriate for babies through preschool
- Receive one free general admission to the Crocker Art Museum. Bring the Art Pack or the check-out receipt to the museum. Admission for children 6 and under is free.
- Search “Crocker Art Pack” in the library catalog.