The Ella K. McClatchy Library is in a lovely older home on a quiet residential street in midtown Sacramento. Our building was designed by Northern California architect Rudolph Adam Herold in the early 1900's for Charles and Ella McClatchy and their family. The house became a library in 1940 after Eleanor McClatchy and Charlotte Maloney presented it to the City of Sacramento as a memorial to their mother. Although the library was originally a young people's library, today it serves all ages.
The Library was closed for a month in late 2013 to correct several longstanding issues with the historic structure. The renovation was sponsored by the Ella K. McClatchy Friends and was made possible by a generous donation by a longtime McClatchy Friends member.
The Library currently has two meeting rooms, a large community room with a capacity of 24, and a small meeting room with a capaicty of 8.