The Veterans Resource Stations at the Central and Southgate Libraries are dedicated to helping veterans and their families.
Veterans Resource Stations
6132 66th Ave, Sacramento, CA 95823
Fridays, 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Wednesdays, 10:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Fridays, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The stations provides assistance through trained volunteers who can connect veterans and their families to benefits and resources. The stations also provide access to books, DVDs and pamphlets on various topics including transitioning from military to civilian life, finding jobs, surviving change, veterans benefits and managing post-traumatic stress disorders.
For more information, veterans and their families may call 916-264-2920 or visit the Veteran's Resource Stations at the Southgate Library or Central Library.
Sacramento Public Library received a Library Services & Technology Act (LSTA) Grant, Veterans Connect @ the Library, to make the Veteran's Resource Station possible.
- National Call Center for Homeless Veterans: 1-877-4AID-VET (424-3838)
- Sacramento County Veteran's Service Office: 916-874-6811
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Wounded Warrior Resource Center: 1-800-342-9647
CalVet Veterans Services
- Employment Development Department - Provides unemployment insurance, access to job fairs, and specialized job training.
- CalVet Examination Announcements - A listing of local and state examinations and job resources. Some examination scores may be required for specific county or state jobs.
- Veterans' Preference Points - Application for preference points. Five to Fifteen points can be added to the final score of qualifying examinations for veterans and family members based on their status.
- Cal Jobs - A centralized database of available jobs and job postings. Veterans are provided a 24-hour priority hold on all job postings, assistance in job searches and job fairs.
- Feds Hire Vets - Recruitment and employment of veterans.
- USA Jobs - Find jobs in the federal government. Many veterans already have security clearances and technical skills required for some government positions.
- VA Northern California Health Care System - Provides local services, including group psychotherapy, medication management, substance abuse treatment and a PTSD treatment program.
- National Center for PTSD - National site for resources on PTSD treatment, programs, and locating local medical centers that treat PTSD.
- The Pathway home - Comprehensive treatment for veterans impacted by post traumatic stress, traumatic brain injury, and other post-combat mental health challenges.
Homeless Prevention Programs
Real Estate benefits
- Veterans home loans - Apply for a CalVet home loan with veterans benefits, including low-interest rates, low down payment and home and loan protection plans.
- Veterans Property Tax Exemption - Eligible veterans receive an exemption on all or part of their property taxes.