Applying for a Passport at the Library is Easy!
Sacramento Public Library is your gateway to international travel with our passport application service, passport photo service, travel books and DVDs.
828 I Street
Passport Office Hours:*
- Tuesday: 3 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Friday: 12 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Sunday: 12 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
*Appointments are strongly recommended, no walk-ins accepted on Sundays. Closed on holidays. Metered street parking is free all day Sundays.
Call for an appointment:
- To schedule an appointment, call 916-264-2920
- We do not accept walk-ins on Sunday, and strongly recommend that you make an appointment to ensure that we will be able to assist you.
What do you need to bring?
Please view our Passport Checklist
for information on what to bring to your appointment.
- Please note: New applicants, renewals, name changes or corrections, lost or stolen passports, etc. each require a different form.
- Find the right form at the U.S. Department of State’s Website.
- The U.S. Department of State accepts only checks or money orders at this time. Cash, debit/credit and starter checks are not accepted.
- Sacramento Public Library does not accept cash or starter checks.
Can you Renew by Mail?
- Go to renewing your passport to see if you meet the criteria to renew by mail.
- The Passport Center does not accept passport renewal applications.
- If you are eligible to renew by mail then you must mail your renewal application yourself.
- If you are not eligible to renew by mail then you may apply in person at the Passport Center.
- You cannot renew by mail if your previous passport was issued when you were under the age of 16.
Need a Passport Photo?
- For an additional $15, Central Library’s passport service staff can take your photo.
- For more information on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid passport processing delays, please see the U.S. Department of State’s Passport Photo Requirements.
If You Need a Passport in a Hurry...
- You may request expedited service for an additional fee per application, as well as overnight delivery each way (A separate fee to and from the passport agency).
- Overnight Delivery is optional and not required for expedited service, but is recommended to ensure accelerated processing.
If You Need a Passport Immediately...
The Passport Center does not
offer same day passport service. If traveling is within 14 days or sooner
, please contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) at 1-877-487-2778 to schedule an appointment at the closest regional passport agency.
For more information about the passport application process including fees, processing times, identity and citizenship evidence, as well as other documents required at time of application, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s Website.