The Sacramento Public Library Authority (SPLA) seeks a Library Director & CEO (Director) to provide exceptional leadership and comprehensive oversight of the SPLA, its 28 locations, and growing mobile services fleet.
The Director is appointed by and reports to the 15-member Authority Board and provides both internal and external guidance to ensure the highest quality of library services and to promote the Library as a service essential to the quality of life in Sacramento. The ideal candidate will bring extensive knowledge and experience in a professional public library leadership, administration or operations setting and possess a strong skillset for leading and inspiring the community and library workforce. The success of the candidate is highly predicated on their ability to balance the interests and priorities of the seven member agencies and their respective board members, while ensuring the SPLA’s mission and vision is fulfilled. This is a great opportunity to create your legacy, join an organization at the forefront of the library industry, and make a difference in the lives of many!
The Library Director (Director) must provide exemplary leadership and comprehensive oversight of the 28 locations, and a growing mobile services fleet. The Director acts as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Sacramento Public Library Authority and is appointed by and reports to its 15-member Authority Board. The Director is responsible for the management of the Authority’s approximately 300 employees (seven direct reports) and $55M annual operating budget. This position provides both internal and external guidance to ensure the highest quality of library services and promote the Library as a service essential to the quality of life in Sacramento. The Director must lead the management team, engage with the community, and demonstrate courage, creativity, and integrity in all actions.
The Director works closely with the Authority Board to identify, develop, implement, and update policies and strategies that are essential to effective library operations and services that meet the community’s needs. Ensuring effective administration and operations of the Authority is critical to the success of the Director and the Sacramento Library. Areas of administrative and operational oversight include:
- Budget and financial accountability
- Recruitment, hiring, training, retention and discipline of staff
- Internal and external communications to the Authority Board, staff and community
- Planning, building, maintenance of oversight of facilities
- Technological infrastructure to best meet operational and community needs
- Library collections, as provided by California Code of Regulations, Section 19146 (or California Education Code, Section 19146
- Compliance with Federal, State and local laws, regulations and ordinances as well as Library policies and procedures
- Advocacy for staff to ensure that they receive the training and development required to be effective, efficient and engaged employees
- 10 years of public library experience, including three years of administrative experience
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited program
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles and practices of public administration, including county government, and of the laws applicable to library service in the State of California
- Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s license and proof of satisfactory DMV clearance
- Personal transportation for job-related travel
HOW TO APPLY:
For first consideration APPLY by September 23 at https://wbcpinc.com/job-board
SECURE THE DATES:
- Interviews will be held virtually on October 15, October 21, and October 22 (candidates invited to interview will need to be available for all three days)
Please contact your recruiter, Sam Sackman, with any questions: