Because uses must be non-commercial, businesses promoting products or services for sale may not use the meeting spaces. Activities and communications engaged in or carried on to aid or facilitate the present or future generation of business revenues, including the selling, offering for sale, and solicitation for future delivery or performance of any product or service are excluded. Also excluded are informational or educational events related to the business activities of the user. For example, space is not available for investment seminars and retirement planning seminars sponsored by private businesses that provide investment or retirement planning services, whether operated on a for-profit or non-profit basis, including credit unions.
Open to the Public
Every meeting, including the meetings of neighborhood groups (e.g., a homeowners’ association), youth groups, and religious or political study groups, must be open to all members of the public, not just targeted invitees. A group that does not want its meeting to be open to all is not a suitable user for a library facility.
Board Adopted – March 30, 2006
Use of Library Facilities by Non-Library Groups and Individuals Policy
In keeping with its mission to provide open access to diverse resources and ideas that inspire learning, promote reading, and enhance community life, the Sacramento Public Library Authority permits members of the public to use library facilities, in accordance with federal and state laws and this policy, when those facilities are not in use for library purposes, library-sponsored activities, Sacramento Public Library Foundation activities, and Friends of the Sacramento Public Library activities.
The Sacramento Public Library Authority makes library facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of groups or individuals requesting their use. Permission to use SPLA facilities is not endorsement or sponsorship of any group, individual, organization or event.
This policy applies to the use of any library facilities including, but not limited to, meeting rooms, bulletin boards, display cases or racks, and outdoor areas.
The following guidelines shall apply:
- Library facilities are open to groups and individuals engaged in community educational, cultural, intellectual or charitable activities. Library facilities and spaces may be used for non-commercial purposes only.
- All meetings and functions in library spaces shall be open to all members of the public, and no admission charge may be imposed.
- The Library Director shall establish:
- A list of facilities appropriate for public use and the times that each facility shall be available.
- Procedures for facility use that shall impose reasonable time, place and manner limits. The procedures shall be designed to encourage use of facilities by multiple diverse users and shall not discriminate on the basis of the identity of the user or the content of the user’s speech.
- Rules of use that shall apply equally to all users to ensure protection of public safety and Library property.
A separate policy governs use of the Tsakopoulos Library Galleria
. Additional or different policies may apply at joint-use facilities.