Take a spin on an e-trike
Getting around the neighborhood just got easier
Check out an electric tricycle with your library card for free starting August 3 at the Colonial Heights Library.
● Powered by an electric motor, this three-wheeled electric vehicle is perfect for running errands or cruising short distances.
● Store your gear or groceries in the large rear cargo basket while you’re on the go.
● Check out an e-trike for up to 3 weeks at the Colonial Heights Library
● E-trikes cannot be reserved in advance.
● Must be at least 18 years old with a library card in good standing.
How do I check out an e-trike?
E-trikes are made possible thanks to a partnership with the City of Sacramento and funding from a California Energy Commission grant.
Visit the service desk at the Colonial Heights Library to check out an e-trike. You must be at least 18 years old with a Sacramento Public Library card in good standing to borrow an e-trike. Please note that e-trikes cannot be reserved in advance.
What comes with the e-trike?
When you check out an e-trike, you’ll also receive keys, lock, battery, wall charger, and rain cover for the vehicle. All items must be returned with the e-trike.
How do I charge the e-trike?
You are responsible for charging the e-trike. The battery does not recharge when you’re pedaling.
- Remove the battery by unlocking it with the key provided
- Pull the handle to slide the battery off its track
- Plug the wall unit into an outlet indoors and then plug the battery into the wall unit
- Your battery is fully charged when the green bars are full
Do not charge the battery longer than 12 hours. Do not block the fan vent on the wall charger as this can cause overheating.
How do I safely operate an e-trike?
You are responsible for adhering to all state and local vehicle laws while operating an e-trike. Be sure to wear a helmet, use clear hand signals and avoid sidewalks as much as possible. E-trikes work best on a flat surface.
Here are a few tips for operating an e-trike:
How do I lock and store the e-trike?
- Ease into acceleration
- Keep the e-trike level and balanced for a smooth ride
- Take turns slowly and shift your weight to the outside of the turn instead of leaning into the turn
Proper storage and locking is your responsibility. To lock the bike:
How do I return the e-trike?
- Wrap the chain around the frame of the e-trike and loop through the ring
- Wrap the other end to a bike rack or other fixed object
- Secure padlock to a fixed object
- Remove the battery when you are away from the e-trike for an extended period of time
- Use the rain cover whenever there is rainfall or when the e-trike is left unattended for more than a few hours
Visit the service desk at the Colonial Heights Library to return the e-trike. Be sure to return all equipment to library staff including e-trike, keys, lock, battery, wall charger and rain cover.
What is the range for the e-trike battery?
The e-trike estimated range is up to 30 miles, but mileage may vary.